Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Network for Hope

March 11, 2008


I found a wonderful organization here in the local area, Walk with Sally, that helps kids 7-17 cope with having siblings or parents with cancer. I volunteered for the first time last night, Tuesday March 11. They teamed up with 2 other fantastic organizations, Hope Wine and Network for Hope, that each have their own wonderful way of helping others. Network for Hope brings people together, and networks with people, organizations and charities. Hope Wine combines their business and love of wine with giving back, as 50% of profits goes to certain charities. They helped sponsor the event last night and are donating 15% of wine purchased to Walk with Sally when using the code "sally" with your online purchase. Check out www.hopewine.com for THE best wine, ever! I had great fun helping with the door prizes and educating everyone about Walk with Sally. I am currently going through their mentoring training program so that I can mentor children that face the realization that their parent or sibling has cancer and what that means. It is a great balance for me, as with Lung Cancer Awareness, I am mostly dealing with research and funding awareness and I really want to help others going through what I went through. Although I was an adult, the experience is similar and if I can help just one child cope and feel like they have a common bond with another, then I will feel successful.

No comments: