Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Living with Lung Cancer

I remember when my mom was first diagnosed with Lung Cancer; I remember the call from my aunt "to come home now". I was planning a trip home to be a bride's maid in my best friend's wedding and I needed to get home a few days earlier, as my mom had fallen, from what seemed to be a stroke. I remember walking in after a 12 hour drive to see my mom somewhat dazed and partially paralyzed. I was in shock, but I had to be the strong one, always the strong one. After countless hours at the doctors office, we were sent to an oncologist at the hospital (why I wondered, as everyone was secretive), only to have her go through tests, a biopsy, CT Scans and back to a room where I was given the news. THE news. My mom had stage IV inoperable cancer. Nothing could be done, only radiation treatments...it had spread to her brain. That is why we thought it was a stroke. When I think back on that day, I remember not being able to share that news with anyone...my mom WAS my anyone. My husband was driving up for the wedding (we didn't own cell phones then), my best friend was getting married (didn't want to depress her) and I couldn't dare tell my sweet daddy. I carried the burden by myself for some time, as my mom didn't understand all that was going on and she, well, wasn't herself.
The reason I bring up all of this sad stuff, is I ran across a blog posted on National Lung Cancer Partnership that blogs the day in the life of a cancer survivor. I found myself crying, knowing what she is going through. Yet, she is so hopeful and truthful. She has beaten the odds and has survived 6 years so far. I would have given anything to have my mom more than the 7 weeks she survived, but every person is different - with the same outcome though.
THIS is why I fight for awareness and funding for Lung Cancer! Hope. Survival. Beating the odds and living life! I only wish I had more power to make it happen faster. NOBODY deserves Lung Cancer! It is the most horrible of cancers, just read the statistics. Hope...the future...we do have that!
Please read the blog: http://www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org/blog/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janice,
Thank you for sharing! I lost my grandmother to lung cancer in 1995 and Jason's grandfather lost his battle two years ago to lung cancer. You are so right, it is a horrible disease. Jason & I were both at our grandparent's side when they lost the battle....one they both fought until the end. As a family member of someone who was a victim, I cannot thank you enough for what you are doing to help bring more awareness and funding for a cure. WE DO HAVE HOPE! I hope that we live to see a cure for all types of cancer. My grandmother's birthday (well she has a new one now...Aug. 12th because that is the day she went to live with Jesus) but her birthday that we celebrated when she was living on earth was January 9th! Reading this entry brings a smile to my face and hope for tomorrow!
Thank you and I know your mom is SO proud of you!!!
Lots of Love,
Shannon
teamdonatedevine.blogspot.com